What is Sustainable Dentistry?
We at Hunter Family Dentistry believe that we all have a responsibility to do our part in taking care of the earth. We care about how the materials we use, the treatment we suggest and even our office design effects our planet. We are dedicated to environmentally friendly practices and believe that while we help you have healthy teeth, we can also help us all have a healthy planet.
Hunter Family Dentistry is dedicated to keeping your mouth healthy through environmentally sustainable practices. We have invested in the technology to make your visit to the dentist comfortable for you and good for the Earth.
- Our digital imaging technology exposes you to 90% less radiation than traditional x-rays and eliminates the need for chemical developers.
- When sanitizing the equipment we use in your mouth, we utilize top of the line steam-based, surgical grade instrument sterilization that contains no harsh chemicals and that has the added bonus of cutting down on water use.
- We use a special water filtration system that allows for environmentally sound disposal of old mercury fillings. This prevents dumping toxic materials directly into our local water systems.
- We save water with a waterless vacuum. Traditional vacuums use 1 gallon of water per minute. That’s 6 olympic pools full of water every year!
- We use sterile bottle water systems to reduce the risk of cross contamination and to reduce water usage
- The materials that we use in all our dental procedures are the most biocompatible materials available, maintaining your health and wellbeing for years to come.
- We have a compressor that will never require additional oil, reusing the existing oil for it’s entire life.
- We use low flow faucets and low water usage toilets.
- We wash all our reusable materials onsite, saving gas and reducing our carbon footprint.
- We have energy star appliances
- Our flooring, cabinetry and other building materials are made of low-VOC, Leed certified and recycled materials.